Via Will Debut an Android-Based Sub-$200 Media Player at DSE
VIA Technologies just told rAVe that it will announce a line of commercial-grade Android digital signage players at DSE 2015, including the VIA ALTA DS 2, which runs dual displays in extended mode and outputs 4K on a single display.
The VIA ALTA DS Series features a choice of single and dual display Android-based media players for managing multi-display deployments (in an affordable way). Applications range from digital sign and menu boards to Digital Out of Home Advertising (DOOH) across a broad spectrum of retail, hospitality, entertainment, transportation, corporate and entertainment environments.
The VIA ALTA DS 2 is compact fanless Android media player which offers dual independent Full HD screen support as well as these features:
- 1.0GHz dual core VIA Elite E1000 Cortex-A9 SoC with a high-performance 2D/3D graphics and video engine that supports Open GL ES 3.0 hardware acceleration and simultaneous multiple Full HD video playback
- Dual-screen support with optional second HDMI port
- Extended and independent screen content support
- 2GB DDR3 SDRAM and up to 16GB eMMC Flash memory onboard
- Two HDMI-out ports; two USB 2.0 ports; two mini-USB 2.0 ports, one Gigabit Ethernet port; Audio-out/Mic-in; one SD card slot
The VIA ALTA DS is a fanless system with a single output as well as these features:
- VIA Cortex-A9 SoC with advanced 2D/3D graphics and HD video playback capabilities
- 1GB DDR3 SDRAM and up to 16GB eMMC Flash memory onboard
- HDMI and VGA (optional) ports; four USB 2.0 ports; one 10/100 Ethernet port; Audio-out/Mic-in,
- Auto power on when plugged
- Optional Wi-Fi card
Both VIA ALTA DS systems are available with a signage software solution pack featuring Android 4.3 as well as the VIA Smart ETK comprising a number of APIs, including Watchdog Timer (WDT) for safeguarding against system crashes, WOL, RTC wake-up, and a sample app. A full set of software customization services that speed up time to market and minimize development costs is also available. For customers looking for large-scale network signage and kiosk deployments, VIA offers cloud-based device management support for remote monitoring, control, and silent OTA software updates for both OS and apps.
All the tech specs are here and they will be priced starting at $180 US for the VIA ALTA DS and $195 US for the VIA ALTA DS 2.