Pakedge Device & Software is introducing a new addition to its RE router series dubbed the RE-2 — an enterprise grade four-port router. The RE-series of routers is designed for smaller commercial and residential networks where high performance is required at a cost effective price.
The RE-2 is built around a powerful chipset and processor designed specifically to manage simultaneous streams of high bandwidth, low latency multimedia traffic including high definition video and uncompressed audio, running Voice over IP (VOIP) telephones services, streaming video camera feeds and supporting other automation control system applications.
Six preconfigured Pakedge Zones allow installers to segment voice, video and data traffic onto distinct sub-networks. This enables diverse traffic types to co-exist, be processed more efficiently, and eliminate system conflicts. This makes network set up and installation quicker and easier and enables installers to improve network performance and prevent broadcast storms and other problems on media streaming devices and security cameras. It also means that installers can add more media streaming devices onto the network quickly and easily when required in the future.
The RE-2 Router also incorporates other multimedia traffic management features. These include Pakedge TruStream technology that distinguishes and prioritizes the processing of latency-sensitive traffic (e.g., VoIP traffic, streaming video) from other traffic and IGMP snooping that facilitates the proper operation of multicast media streaming devices within the network.
For security, the RE-2 router includes:
- Virtual Private Network (VPN) that allows secure access into the network remotely
- Virtual DMZ (demilitarized zone) that allows the placement of a server outside the firewall
- Internet Pass-through Port that allows guest access to the internet but not the internal network
- Access control that blocks traffic to user specified devices, ports and IP addresses
- Website access controls blocks access to user specified websites
Router features include:
- Network access through free Pakedge DNS service that allows the user to access the network by typing in a user defined name instead of the IP address
- UPnP (Universal Play and Play) enables the automated discovery and integration of devices connected to the router
- Easy network file sharing through the high speed USB 3.0 port
- Secure remote access enables offsite troubleshooting while onboard network utility tools (e.g. Ping, traceroute and NSLookup, etc) assist in network problem resolution
- The RE-2 is fully compatible with the BakPak Cloud Management System, a Pakedge hardware-and-app combo that lets integrators monitor and manage their clients’ networks remotely