Mediasite announced Mediasite 8 via incorporating features to support the emerging hybrid world of work, learning and events. More efficient video storage, smaller file sizes, accessibility updates, new integrations with videoconferencing systems and an enhanced user experience with a new player and editor are among the new features in the Mediasite 8 family. Some updates are available now (but others are coming soon, according to the company).
Mediasite 8 will:
- Empower content owners to control more of the video lifecycle while also still allowing organizations to implement policies around the content.
- Support automation with greater flexibility to ingest third-party streaming sources directly in Mediasite. This makes Mediasite more open for helping users scale faster by allowing even more content to come into the platform.
- Emphasize innovative capture solutions with a full suite of room-based and desktop software that can automate the content being created in classrooms, training rooms and board rooms.
A typical customer’s Mediasite usage has grown to an average of 1 million video views per month. Mediasite 8 has a new video engine (available now) that is designed to support ubiquitous usage, allowing users to store videos more efficiently. Benefits to users include:
- Better quality playback: Any video, regardless of where it was created, can now be optimized in Mediasite with advanced encoding settings to match users’ needs, greatly reducing file sizes while improving quality.
- Higher quality vodcasts: Using the new video engine creates the best quality downloadable files.
- Record and deliver videos with new tools for creative flexibility.
An enhanced user interface makes it easier than ever to teach, learn and connect via Mediasite, including:
- Accessibility updates such as light, dark and high-contrast themes that enable choice, focus, comfort and access.
- Bulk content management make it easier to modify large amounts of content in Mediasite.
- Unified publishing options that give users more interactivity and engagement with a modern interface.
Updates to come:
- A new editor that allows for more video enhancements: Background colors and images, watermarks, additional video clips and more.
- A new video player that maintains the user’s ability to choose where they focus their attention. The new player provides a modern experience that starts and loads faster, requires less bandwidth and provides optimal use of screen space. The player takes advantage of live streaming latency, which in turn improves interactivity when using polls, chat and Q&A.
- A new integration with Microsoft Teams, in addition to the Zoom integration already available in Mediasite. Users will be able to automatically import, manage, search and access valuable conference calls recorded in Teams anytime in Mediasite. Teams recordings will benefit from Mediasite’s searchable and secure video management system.
The first release of Mediasite 8 is available now.