JVC Professional today announced a new line of home theater projectors that incorporate a new imaging device, upgraded version of the company’s e-shift technology, 4K source compatibility and a user-selectable Intelligent Lens Aperture.
The entire line is D-ILA based and has a new wire grid polarizer. JVC has also added a user-selectable Intelligent Lens Aperture that is spec’d to allow for deeper blacks. And projectors equipped with 4K e-shift3, the latest iteration of the company’s e-shift technology, feature a 4K signal input (at 60p) so that now both 4K and 2K sources can be displayed as 3840×2160 images.
JVC’s 2014 projectors are the Procision Series DLA-X900R, DLA-X700R and DLA-X500R, marketed by JVC’s Consumer AV Group, and the Reference Series DLA-RS6710, DLA-RS67, DLA-RS57, DLA-RS4910, and DLA-RS49, available through JVC Professional Products Company. All are 3D-enabled and offer 4K e-shift3.
The new JVC projectors use three sixth generation JVC D-ILA imaging devices. This new device features a pixel gap that’s 40 percent narrower than the previous chip for a smoother picture, a 10 percent improvement in light efficiency for a light output of 1,300 lumens, and improved native contrast, which is also enhanced by a new, third generation wire grid optical engine. As a result, native contrast ratios for the new projectors are:
- DLA-X900R/RS67/RS6710 150,000:1
- DLA-X700R/RS57 120,000:1
- DLA-X500R/RS49/RS4910 60,000:1
To further boost contrast, JVC has developed a user-selectable Intelligent Lens Aperture. When engaged, JVC’s Intelligent Lens Aperture produces deeper black levels while maintaining white levels superior to what’s delivered by competing projectors using a dynamic iris – performance attributable to JVC projectors’ inherent high native contrast capabilities. The contrast ratios:
- DLA-X900R/RS67/RS6710 1,500,000:1
- DLA-X700R/RS57 1,200,000:1
- DLA-X500R/RS49/RS4910 600,000:1
JVC’s 4K e-shift technology was first developed to upconvert and scale 2D HD content to a 4K signal. With 4K inputs, the new JVC projectors can now process 4K signals as well to deliver a smooth, detailed image. Picture performance is further optimized by a new Multiple Pixel Control (MPC) processor with eight-band detection. The MPC processor offers four presets plus an Auto setting that automatically selects the best upconversion process by detecting the frequency of each pixel.
Picture quality is also enhanced through a new Clear Black feature that provides local area contrast enhancement, and improved Clear Motion Drive (CMD 3). CMD 3 uses a new LSI and new algorithm to deliver a significant improvement in motion artifacts on diagonal lines on 4K and 2K 2D content and 2K 3D content.
Other new enhancements for 2014 are:
- Two memory settings for pixel convergence that can be used to store correction settings for external lenses.
- New smartphone app that provides remote control of the projector, including picture settings.’
- Adobe RGB picture mode on the top five models.
Key features carried over from the 2013 line include:
- Active shutter glasses for 3D viewing use RF rather than IR technology to offer more stable synchronization and extended range while avoiding possible interference with IR-controlled devices.
- Lens memory settings – Ten for the DLA-X900R, DLA-X700R, DLA-RS6710, DLA-RS67 and DLA-RS57, and five for the DLA-X500R, DLA-RS49, and DLA-RS4910. These store custom focus, zoom and horizontal/vertical lens shift position. This allows a constant height display of 4:3, 16:9, 2.35:1 or any other scope content without an additional anamorphic lens.
The flagship DLA-X900R and DLA-RS67/6710 are built using hand-selected, hand-tested components and have a 150,000:1 native contrast ratio and 1,500,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio. For 3D viewing, they come with two pairs of PK-AG3 RF 3D glasses and a PK-EM2 3D Signal Emitter. The DLA-RS6710 also includes a spare lamp and comes with a five-year warranty versus a three-year warranty on the DLA-X900R and DLA-RS67.
The DLA-X700R and DLA-RS57 have a native contrast of 120,000:1, dynamic contrast ratio of 1,200,000:1 and come with a two-year warranty.
Two current models, the DLA-X35 and the DLA-RS46, remain in the line for 2014 and the new JVC D-ILA home theater projectors will be available November at the following prices:
- DLA-RS6710 $12,499
- DLA-X900R/DLA-RS67 $11,999
- DLA-X700R/DLA-RS57 $7,999
- DLA-RS4910 $5,199
- DLA-X500R/DLA-RS49 $4,999