9 February 2017 – Epson has today announced the latest version of its Moverio smart glasses, the BT-350, designed for commercial and, specifically, arts and culture applications. No longer do visitors need to imagine how a long-extinct dinosaur may have walked or roared, or how a 2,000 year-old statue may have once looked. Using the power of augmented reality, these things can be brought to life in front of a viewer’s eyes, automatically overlaid onto exhibits and ruins.
The BT-350 has been designed with ease-of-use, durability and accessibility in mind to provide innovative content and experiences, beyond what is available on phones and tablets or audio guides. Its cutting edge technology enables augmented content to be immersively overlaid onto the real world, making culture more accessible and exciting. However, focus and attention is still kept on what really matters: the displayed items, show or location.
Valerie Riffaud-Cangelosi, head of New Market Development, Epson Europe, says: “The design and wearability is key, and the BT-350 is designed with commercial applications in mind. Its durable build and features designed for comfort mean it can be repeatedly worn by lots of visitors, fitting comfortably for long periods of time, no matter their shape, size, or if they wear glasses. Its unique design has been created using feedback from customers and projects already using the previous generation of Moverio in a wide-range of applications, resulting in easy fleet management features thanks to its dedicated options and accessories.”
The capability for several BT-350 models to be charged and updated at the same time via an optional accessory makes it simple to manage many devices simultaneously. The battery lasts up to six hours, giving visitors plenty of time to explore, and the controller can be locked so users cannot tamper. Built-in connectivity and sensors include Bluetooth Smart, Wi-Fi, Miracast and motion sensors. The smart glasses can also deliver 3D content, and it can visually detect items in front of a visitor using a high-resolution, five megapixel stereo camera.
Epson’s focus on a wide range of commercial and other applications distinguishes the Moverio range from other smart glasses on the market. Developed with function at the forefront, the range has proved popular with business customers and independent software vendors (ISVs). The Moverio BT-350 continues Epson’s commitment to binocular smart eyewear, delivering real optical see-through overlay, and increased performance.
The BT-350 is available from April 2017.
- Epson Si-OLED display
- 720p HD resolution
- Fixed, adjustable arms increase durability
- Unique nose pad suited for over-glasses use
- Large arrays of built-in sensors including a 5MP camera, gyroscope, accelerometer, compass, GPS, ambient light and microphone
- Bluetooth Smart Ready, Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac & Miracast
- Intel® Atom™ x5 1.44GHz Quad Core
- 16GB internal memory, with the ability to add up to 32GB of additional memory via SD card
- Battery life of up to six hours
- Runs on Android 5.1
- Compact and light design – can fit a range of head sizes, and can be worn over glasses
- Support for side-by-side 3D content
- Waterproof controller pouch
- Neck strap for a complete hands-free experience
- Multiplex charger option for easy device management and operation
- Trackpad can be disabled and keys customised to have the application locked during usage
- Optimised indoor/outdoor experience: flip-up shade and IPx2 rating