Audio-Technica has introduced the ES954 Hanging Microphone Array, a solution for huddle rooms, conference rooms and other meeting spaces. When controlled by the Audio-Technica ATDM-0604 Digital SmartMixer, the four-capsule microphone array provides 360-degree coverage through virtual hypercardioid or cardioid outputs that can be steered horizontally and tilted vertically.
Intended primarily for videoconferencing applications, the ES954 may be used singly or in multiples to capture every person speaking in a room, with the total number of channels restricted only by the capacity of the mixer or DSP device controlling the system. When using the ATDM-0604 Digital SmartMixer, the intuitive graphic interface enables control of the width and orientation of each virtual polar pattern, which may be steered in 30-degree increments, with a tilt function accommodating differing ceiling heights or users that are sitting/standing.
The ES954 Hanging Microphone Array features a permanently attached 1.2-meter (4-foot) cable with locking grommet enabling easy microphone height adjustment. UniGuard RFI-shielding technology offers outstanding rejection of radio frequency interference (RFI). The package includes a Plenum-rated AT8554 Ceiling Mount with RJ45 connectors and push-type wire terminals for simple, secure installation. The ES954 connects to the mixer over a pair of shielded standard CAT5 cables. Two RJ45 breakout cables are provided to input the four channels, plus an LED conductor, into the mixer. An integral, logic-controlled 360-degree red/green LED ring provides clear indication of the array’s mute status.
A simple setup might include a single ES954 over the center of a conference table configured from the mixer to provide coverage via four identical quadrants. Used in conjunction with a gate on each microphone channel, the system could be configured to automatically follow anyone talking while moving around the space.
Alternative seating arrangements in the room can be accommodated by re-orienting each of the four microphone patterns in the mixer’s software. Different seating configurations and associated coverage patterns can be saved as presets in the mixer for quick recall. In larger rooms, multiple ES954 microphone arrays could be installed — for instance, one at each end of a long conference table — and the polar patterns of the multiple microphone arrays steered and widened or narrowed accordingly.
- Quad-capsule steerable microphone array designed for use with the ATDM-0604 Digital SmartMixer and other compatible mixers
- When controlled by the ATDM-0604, provides 360° coverage of virtual hypercardioid or cardioid outputs that can be steered in 30° increments to clearly capture every person speaking in a room
- Mixer-controlled tilt function provides a vertical steering option to accommodate ceilings of different heights or users that are sitting/standing
- Includes Plenum-rated AT8554 Ceiling Mount with RJ45 connectors and push-type wire terminals for simple, secure installation
- Integral, logic-controlled 360-degree red/green LED ring provides clear indication of mute status
- High-output design with low self-noise delivers strong, natural-sounding vocal reproduction
- Low-reflective white finish matches ceiling tiles in most environments
- Includes two 46 cm (18″) breakout cables: RJ45 (female) to three 3-pin Phoenix (female); RJ45 (female) to 3-pin Phoenix (female) and unterminated LED conductors
- Permanently attached 1.2 meters (4 feet) cable with locking grommet enables easy microphone height adjustment
- Included seismic cable secures the AT8554 Ceiling Mount to a drop ceiling grid
- UniGuard RFI-shielding technology offers outstanding rejection of radio frequency interference (RFI)
- Requires 11V to 52V DC phantom power
- Elements: Fixed-charge back plate, permanently polarized condenser
- Polar pattern: Omnidirectional (O)/Figure-of-eight (L/R/Z)
- Frequency response 20 to 16,000 Hz
- Open circuit sensitivity O/L/R: -36 dB (15.85mV) (0 dB=1V/Pa,1 kHz); Z: -38.5 dB (11.9 mV) (0 dB=1 V/Pa,1 kHz)
- Impedance 100 ohms
- Maximum input sound level O/L/R: 132.5 dB SPL (1 kHz at 1 percent THD); Z: 135 dB SPL (1 kHz at 1 percent THD)
- Signal-to-noise ratio O/L/R: 66.5 dB (1 kHz at 1 Pa, A-weighted); Z: 64 dB (1 kHz at 1 Pa, A-weighted)
- Phantom power requirements: 11-52V DC, 23.2 mA
- Weight Mic: 160 grams (5.6 ounces); Ceiling Mount (AT8554): 420 grams (14.8 ounces)
- Dimensions Mic: Max. body dia.: 61.6 millimeters (2.43″); Height: 111.8 mm (4.40″)
- Ceiling Mount (AT8554): 36.6 millimeters H (1.44″) × 106.0 millimeters (4.17″) W × 106.0 millimeters (4.17″) D
- Output connector: Euroblock connector
The ES954 Hanging Microphone Array is already shipping and here are the details.