Apogee Electronics’ new Groove is a new portable USB DAC and headphone amp for listening to music on your Mac or PC. Apogee says that Groove unlocks the highest possible quality of any headphones or powered speakers you have — it’s taking the native audio file and converting it to 3.5 millimeter using a DAC and an amplifier they say is better than any of them inside a PC or laptop.
Apogee claims that Groove’s circuit design provides an even distribution of output power across the audible frequency spectrum, correcting impedance imperfections often found in entry-level headphones and powering a headphones output — with no software. All you do is connect Groove to your Mac or PC with the included USB 2.0 cable and plug in headphones or speakers (or to a system amplifier) into Groove’s ⅛” (3.5 mm) analog output.
- USB 2.0 connection to Mac and PC
- Up to 24 bit / 192kHz audio
- ESS Sabre DAC
- Asynchronous clocking
- Max output level: 225mW into 30 Ohm
- Multi-color LEDs for status and level indication
- Powered by USB
- Top panel buttons for adjusting output level and muting
- Compact and portable (95mm H x 30mm W x 16mm T)
- Aluminum finger-sized enclosure